I have been tagged by Sophia to list Six Things One Should Do Before 18. Here are the rules of the game:
1. Post these rules before presenting your list.
2. List 6 actions or achievements you think every person should accomplish before turning 18.
3. There are no conditions on what can be included on the list.
4. At the end of your blog, choose 6, or less, people to get tagged and list their names.
5. People who are tagged write their own blog entry with their 6 suggestions.
6. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged.
By no mean exhaustive, here are my thoughts:
1. Have problems!: The first thing which comes to my mind is this quote – I can’t remember the source – Vaut mieux mourir jeune car on a le temps de renaître, it is better to die in your youth, you will have time to be born again.
The difficulties one faces during one’s youth (together with some sound advice if you are lucky) will prevent many mistakes later, and limitations are a great source of creativity. Although I had a rather protected childhood, today I am grateful for some of my miseries.
2. Open your mind, get lucky and have a good reading list: What we read in our youth makes lasting impressions on us for the rest of our life. These days one cannot value enough those who are able to think for themselves, instead of feeding on the superficial news. In my own experience, the lecture of “Gods are Athirst” by Anatole France widened my perception of the turmoil of the Iranian revolution.
3. Experience nature: Create a bond with the environment. Camping, traveling, climbing a mountain etc. Value the simplest things.
4. Get over “clans”: Mingle with people of all ages and different social backgrounds – (this is almost natural in older societies). Relate to people on affinities and despite differences, instead of clinging to similarities. Don’t be afraid of not doing what everybody else does. You have plenty of time ahead.
5. Travel if you can, see the world.
6. Get discipline and learn how to learn … practice a favorite hobby seriously: music, photography, sports, cooking, whatever.
And what a better end than a Courteline quote: Il vaut mieux gâcher sa jeunesse que de n’en rien faire du tout. It is better to spoil your youth than do nothing with it. 🙂
To my other friends: If you are not tagged by the tagged ones, I hope you’ll join the exercise if you feel like 🙂
Before you turn eighteen by 99, but you’ll never reach 18 with her 🙂
See comments below for Ann and BB2‘s excellent suggestions
Six Under 18 memes by Bijan
6 Things to Do Before you turn 18, by proggiemuslima
Neghneghoo: زير هيجده سال
aMmAr: Things to do befor you turn 18