Why this isn’t taught in schools?
After reading the history of the Germany in early 30s, “Italy in the ’20s, Russia in the ’30s, East Germany in the ’50s, Czechoslovakia in the ’60s, Pinochet’s coup in Chile in ’73, the crushing of the democracy movement in China at the end of the ’80s“, American author, Naomi Wolf says ” that there is a blueprint that would-be dictators always do the same ten things, whether they’re on the left or the right […]”
- Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
- Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
- Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
- Set up an internal surveillance system.
- Harass citizens’ groups.
- Engage in arbitrary detention.
- Target key individuals.
- Control the press.
- Treat all political dissents as traitors.
- Suspend the rule of law.
In this article in The Guardian, the author develops her idea with a focus on her homeland although the model is universal.